With the introduction of BS6 fuel emission norms in the country in April 2020, Tata Motors discontinued its small car Nano and Safari Storme SUV. The Tata Nano, promoted as the world’s cheapest car, failed to generate sales for the carmaker in the country. But this car was essential for the company. Tata Nano was very close to the heart of Ratan Tata, the company’s chairman.
The car rolled off the production line in May 2018. This small hatchback was introduced with a 624cc, twin-cylinder petrol engine, which generated 38bhp power and 51Nm torque. This engine was mated to a 4-speed manual or AMT gearbox through which power was sent to the rear wheels.
According to a recent media report, the domestic automaker may consider reintroducing the Tata Nano with an electric powertrain. The Tata Nano EV will likely see significant changes in mechanical details, suspension setup and tyres.
The report further states that if the Tata Nano EV plan reaches the production stage, the carmaker may resume its talks with the Tamil Nadu government regarding acquiring the Ford plant in Maraimalainagar. It should be noted that the company has yet to make any official comment on the Tata Nano electric car.
Currently, the company sells three EVs in India – Tigor EV, Xpres-T and Nexon EV. Recently, Tata announced the Tiago EV’s prices, starting from Rs.8.49 lakhs and going up to Rs.11.79 lakhs. Deliveries of the electric hatchback will begin in January 2023.
Battery, Power & Range
The Tata Tiago EV offers two lithium-ion battery packs – 19.2kWh and 24kWh, which promise a range of 250km and 315km (MIDC), respectively. Tata’s Ziptron high-voltage technology powers the electric hatchback with a permanent magnet synchronous electric motor. This motor generates a power output of 61bhp/110Nm with the smaller battery pack and 774bhp/114Nm with the larger battery pack.
The Tiago EV comes with three charging options – 50kW DC fast charger (80 in 57 minutes), 7.2kW AC fast charger (2 hours 35 minutes – 19.2kWh and 3 hours 35 minutes – 24kWh) and 3.3kW home charger (100kWh). % in 5 hours 5 minutes – 19.2kWh battery/ 6 hours 20 minutes – 24kWh battery).
- The new variant of Honda CB350 is rocking the market with its killer look, giving competition to Bullet in features
- The Harley Davidson X350 bike is winning hearts with its dashing looks and affordable price; See details
- The strong bike of Hero Xtreme 160R would have a distance of 60 km in just one hour; Read full details
- Buy Hero HF Deluxe for less than half the price, know about the offer
- Teaser of the updated premium model of Bajaj Pulsar NS200 surfaced; prices will also change
- The new attractive model of Bajaj Platina will soon rock the market; Know its modern features
- Kia Sonet X-Line will give direct competition to Creta with its updated features and powerful engine; see the details
- TVS Raider 125 bike is spreading its fire in the auto sector with its sporty look and stormy engine
- The facelift version of Kia Seltos, the SUV that rules everyone’s hearts to be launched in India soon; Reports
- 2023 Mahindra XUV300 available in the market with two engine options; Increase in prices also, see details
- Maruti Baleno becomes the most demanding and best-selling car; See the Price and Attractive Features
- Hero launches Super Splendor 125cc bike in XTEC version, will compete with Honda’s CB Shine 125 cc and TVS Raider
- Bajaj Platina 110 ABS bike is winning hearts with its high mileage and new colour options
- Customers’ wait is over; Hyundai Creta 2023 will be launched soon with better safety features; see the details
- Take home the Bajaj Platina 110 with ABS by paying 8 thousand; know how much the monthly EMI will be